Thursday 24 January 2013

ICO continues to wield the fining stick


It’s official. We Brits have given up on winning the Eurovision Song Contest. We may still compete, but in our hearts we know we won’t win. However fear not, our proud nation has set its sights on winning another contest – the Eurodatabreach Fining Contest.

Our proud champions in Wilmslow have spent the last year limbering up and have started to levy fines that are calculated to impress even the Spanish Data Protection regulator.

Where will it end?

I’m not quite sure.

They ought to encourage a great deal more compliance. Fear matters.

And many more data controllers will be adding the ICO's David Smith to their Christmas card list, I guess.

But, if I had my way, in addition to monetary penalties, Chief Executives of organisations found  to have shoddy data protection practices should be required, as well as washing all the cars in the ICO’s car park, to write out the following ditty 100 times:

From the dongles I’ve tossed in the can, from the servers in Japan
From me mam to my gran, ev'ry woman, ev'ry man


OMG
I despair
Data keeps escaping everywhere

So hit me your fining stick, hit me, hit me
Je t'adore, ich liebe dich, hit me, hit me, hit me
Hit me with your fining stick
Hit me slowly, hit me quick
Hit me, hit me, hit me

Take our money if you must

Remember we’re a charitable trust
Show the world that you're no phoney
But don’t fine us as much as you’ve fined Sony


Source:
http://www.ico.gov.uk/news/latest_news/2013/ico-news-release-2013.aspx


Image credit:
http://www.noumic.com/stick.jpg
 

.