Tuesday 12 July 2011

The data protection boating song


I’m at work today. I’m not at the 24th annual Privacy Laws & Business international data protection conference, currently taking place at St John’s College in Cambridge. My place is taken by a work colleague who is far brighter than me. I’m sure she’ll take lots of notes, and we’ll catch up in a few days time.

This means I’ll miss the complimentary punting on the River Cam – which I greatly enjoy.

But even if I can’t be there, hopefully one or two of the more interpid punters will get their crews to sing this boating song, respectfully dedicated to all my friends who are at that event.


Data protectors together,
What a wonderful wheeze,
Glorious weather,
Shade off the trees,
Confering whenever,
People meet in threes,
Confering whenever,
People meet in threes.

Heather may be more clever,
Elaine may make more row,
But we'll data protect for ever,
Steady from stroke to bow,
And nothing in life shall sever
Friendships that are forged now,
And nothing in life shall sever
Friendships that are forged now,

Twenty years hence this conference
May tempt us from office stools,
We may be slower on the uptake
And seem to many, old fools,
But we'll still meet together
Hearing from Stewart and from dons,
But we'll still meet together
In the splendour of St Johns.


Source:

Grateful thanks to William Johnson Cory, author of the Eton Boating Song. His version, together with the piano accompaniment, was first performed on 4 June 1863. It’s not yet clear when (or if) this version will ever be performed!

.