Wednesday 16 November 2016

Apollo – they can’t still be up to their old tricks?

Two years ago I blogged about an unsettling experience I had with Apollo, a firm that had confused me as to what they were really all about. 

Since then, I’ve had a number of emails from people who have had similar experiences. Today, I’m reprinting (most of) the most recent one – which comments about an organisation called Apollo-Transitions. Surely, this is not the same company as the Apollo company I had encountered?  But, spookily, Apollo Transitions Ltd has a remarkably similar logo to the old Apollo– and the same colour scheme. And, Geoff Russell, the person I met in 2014, is a member of the senior team.

Anyway, here’s the letter:

I have recently moved back to the UK [redacted].

As you did, I received the standard email wanting to organise a meeting with the senior partner etc. Whilst it all seems very odd, having a bit of time on my hands I thought I would go to a few meetings to see what I thought. By nature I'm a suspicious guy and to me this doesn't add up.

Like your experience in London I was very underwhelmed with the offices. A Regus office with no signage for Apollo in Cambourne, Cambridgeshire. 

Meeting the with senior partner was a great boost to my confidence as after a few questions and computer exercises (over the two meetings) I feel like I could head up NASA and solve world peace on the side. Whilst I understand that they are pumping up my ego, which is a great thing for job seekers, it's the little things that nag me.


  • Why no signage?
  • Why doesn't the ISO accreditation check out?
  • Recent company name changes
  • Long list of registered and de registered companies associated.
  • £1000 up front and £2000 paid over two months with no guarantees?
  • Very vague reviews
  • Concrete testimonials
  • Not seeing any other customers coming or going over two meetings.
  • Generic career management options.
  • A lack of contacts of partners and staff on LinkedIn?
  • So many directors/ partners etc
  • Why did the laptop provided have no up arrow key button?
  • The white board having the same writing on it for a week.
  • Taking an important phone call during the meeting to explain how busy things are
  • Keeping me waiting for 5 minutes past the scheduled meeting time with no one leaving
  • A stack of topical books for improvement, job progression.

During the process I was under the impression I would be put in contact with some senior executives and would basically be buying a contact list and referral. When I asked this directly that seems not to be the case?

I find this whole thing very odd. In perspective £3000 for your dream job is probably a good buy but it's a hell of a lot of money for someone to jazz up your cv and say don't fidget during an interview.

If I had a lazy £3000 I would follow this through out of interest but i think the old additive "if it's too good to be true" probably is the one to use in this situation.

As a disclaimer I would love to be completely wrong about his company. I hope they are placing thousands of people in great jobs who are advancing their careers and improving both their and their families lives.

I share these closing sentiments, too.



.